Packing For a Move? Here’s 5 Easy Steps
Whenever you need to move from one home to another it can be extremely stressful. Here are some things you should know and do for successful packing.
1. Start saving boxes of all sizes to make packing much easier. A good place to obtain free boxes is at your local grocery store.
2. Collect old newspapers so you can have them on hand when you are packing items that are fragile. Store them in a dry place within your home. For even more protection, cover your fragile boxes with sheets and/or blankets. It’s even a good idea to layer towels between plates.
3. Make sure you have packaging tape on hand. It is a definite must to keep your items secure.
4. Get a black marker to mark all your boxes in order to find things easily
5. Pick a room to keep your boxes all in one place while you are packing so you whole house won’t become cluttered.
6. Always use tape on the bottoms of boxes. Mark them accordingly such as “Kitchen” or “Office.” Be sure to also mark “Fragile” on all four sides and top when appropriate.
7. Gather things that you know you won’t be using right away and pack those.
8. Gather lighter items, such as linens and small appliances and pack in big boxes. Pack smaller boxes with heavy things; i.e., books and dishes.
9. Set aside things you feel you will use within the first few days in a special box before you move. Mark boxes accordingly and make the special boxes the last you put on the truck. That way your most important things that you need to use will be easy to find.
All the info above can be so time consuming so if it’s impossible for you to handle it all on your own, consider hiring a professional moving company who does packing too. This type of company can really be a godsend when you are in the middle of such a stressful time in your life, such as moving!