Access platforms need dedicated maintenance. If you run a business that highly relies on access platforms, it’s important that you know every single thing when it comes to maintaining and keeping them in tip-top shape. Can you confidently say that you have everything covered and figured out when it comes to access platform maintenance?
If you’re planning to own one and have no idea whatsoever when it comes to maintaining them, this article is perfect for you. This article is also perfect for you if you already own access platforms and you want to know important maintenance factors and aspects that you need to do in order to get the most value and investment out of your access platforms.
Benefits of Faithfully Practicing Access Platform Maintenance
The faithful practice of access platform maintenance will allow you to experience the following benefits:
- Your access platform will have a longer lifespan. Its lifetime will be effectively extended.
- Your access platform will have an increased and higher resale value.
- The health of your workforce will be boosted.
- The safety of your workforce will be strictly secured.
- The productivity of your workforce will be boosted and made consistent.
Relevant Australian Legislation and Regulations
It’s not complicated to follow through with the maintenance of access platforms because the Australian government provides a comprehensive guide in the form of the following:
- National Code of Practice for Prevention of Falls in General Construction
- Work Health and Safety Code of Practice for Managing the Risk of Falls at Workplaces 2015
- Guide for Scaffold Inspection and Maintenance
- Guide for Scaffolds-Scaffolding
- Guide for Suspended Swing Stage Scaffolds
- Guide to Transporting High Loads
- Model Code of Practice: Construction Work
- Model Code of Practice: Managing the Risk of Falls in Housing Construction
Above mentioned laws, regulation, and guidelines are in place to ensure the safety of all workers and businesses that make use of access platforms.
Access platforms need prior maintenance before use. Users should thoroughly examine it before starting any task or job for the day. An access platform user must look for signs and warnings of wear and tear. The following must be in top shape and fully working:
- Safety components
- Moveable parts
Business owners and managers must ensure that all access platform users are fully trained and competent when it comes to checking, using, and maintaining access platforms.
A regular examination of all equipment used for height work must be done every six months. Do take note that you should always make it a standard procedure to ask for the credentials of all individuals and laborers that examine, operate, evaluate, and work with access platforms. You should also have a clear record of each and every access platforms’ service history.
A comprehensive access platform inspection will include the following:
- Checking the ability of the machine to lift, lower, rotate, and extend.
- Effectiveness of safety systems and controls.
- Status of sensors, stop buttons, communication systems, limiters, and emergency lowering buttons.
- Stability of the work basket of the platform. Gates and floors must be checked together with toe boards, guardrails, and harness points.
- Status of chains, ropes, electrics, hydraulics, bearings, nuts and bolts, and screws.
- The status of reliability of hydraulic and electric sources.
- The status of steering controls and brakes.
- The status of stabilizers and the chassis.
Detailed Mechanical Examination
Apart from the faithful regular check every six months and the daily maintenance check prior to use, access platforms need to undergo major stability and safety evaluation every ten years. This is to ensure that the access platform’s structural integrity and controls duly and strictly comply with safety regulations. This also secures the increase of the access platforms’ resale value. During this check, each and every critical component of an access platform will be evaluated and put to a test.
Responsible Access Platform Ownership
Responsible access platform ownership is essential. Access platform owners should make it a point to faithfully keep records of checks, examinations, and evaluations. An access platform’s full-service history must always be easily available and accessible to inspectors and examiners that regulate business safety and health.
Keeping a faithful record of a machine’s service history will greatly ensure everyone’s safety and ensure an increased value should a machine be sold and purchased in the future. The record of an access platform’s full-service history must be provided and made available to its future owners.
Access platforms greatly improve business efficiency, safety, and productivity. However, regular maintenance is necessary to keep it working in its best state. In summary, every access platform owners must do the following maintenance:
- Regular maintenance every six months.
- Daily maintenance prior use.
- Major machine examination every ten years.
If you’ve read this article and you still feel like you need help when it comes to the maintenance of your access platforms, you should know that you could also easily hire maintenance experts like the Bend-tech Group. Professional experts like the Bend-tech group have years of experience when it comes to access platform maintenance. Should you still feel confused and clueless, they can easily guide you with all your maintenance concerns every step of the way. If you feel like you can do all the maintenance requirements by yourself, then go for it. All relevant laws, regulations, guidelines, sheets, and data are easily accessible online. But if you feel like there are details that you have yet to fully comprehend, then it’s best to ask for help from professional experts.